The highly-anticipated UFC 249 will not happen as previously scheduled after UFC President Dana White said he was told to “stand down.”
The venue of the fight has had to have been moved from it’s original location in New York because of the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic.
Speaking to ESPN, White said that the “powers that be” at pay-per-view broadcast partner ESPN and parent company Disney expressed their concerns about the fight going ahead.
Originally, White had thought that after UFC 249, fight nights could proceed as scheduled at the secure location — he said on Tuesday he was close to acquiring a “private island” to hold the events.
But on Thursday, White announced that all other UFC events have been postponed indefinitely, calling the whole process a “battle.”
“While the organization was fully prepared to proceed with UFC 249, ESPN has requested the postponement of the event and subsequent bouts until further notice in light of the Covid-19 pandemic,” a UFC spokesperson said in a statement to CNN on Thursday.
“UFC looks forward to resuming the full live events schedule as soon as possible.”